Wednesday, September 28, 2005

My Baba Yaga Soul Day Project

I am making an altered book into a retablo for Frida Kahlo for this project. The original book was an old photo album with a door section on the cover. I have sanded this back a bit and used paint to give it the look of weatherworn shutters and adobe wall.

Inside the doors - I am using images printed from the Net as well as various emphemera. I am planning to decorate the inside of the doors with painted flowers and leaves.

The inside page: I printed these paper dolls off the net ages ago.




The piece of lace on this page is from a dress sleeve - it just has the right flamenco look here. The quote is ``I paint self portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best.'

5 Comments:

At 1:56 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

This is just inspirational Gail. I love Frida Kalho and I love the effect you have achieved. It is going to be something to behold. Go for it with Baba's blessings.

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Karen said...

This is simply fantastic, Gail. The movie Frida is one of my favorites, mainly because it portrayed her strength and vivid passion for life and art. Your project is coming along gorgeously. Let me know if it will be for sale, but I understand that you may want to keep it forever! I love the paper dolls, too. I'll have to see if they still exist.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Luna said...

This is awesome!

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Fabulous Gail. I saw a documentary on her once, fascinating. Your passion for the subject is evident in your reverent treatment of her. A fitting tribute.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Viridiana said...

this is brilliant Gail. I too am a great fan of both Frida and the film and making altered books although I'm still very much a novice at that. Great idea of turning an AB into a retablo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home